Counseling Theory and Practice
This option is available for professors interested in adopting this textbook for use in a course. Students can purchase textbooks here: store.cognella.com.
This option is available for professors interested in adopting this textbook for use in a course. Your request may be delayed while we validate your status.
Cognella Active Learning
is available with this title.
The book is organized into four primary sections, each addressing theoretical schools. Section 1 explores psychodynamic approaches, including psychoanalysis, Jungian therapy, and Adlerian therapy. Section 2 is devoted to existential-humanistic approaches such as existential therapy, Gestalt therapy, and person-centered counseling, while Section 3 discusses cognitive-behavioral approaches, including behavior therapy, cognitive behavior therapy, rational-emotive behavior therapy, and reality therapy. Section 4 describes post-modern therapies and examines the relatively new approaches of narrative therapy, solution-focused brief therapy, and relational cultural therapy, a form of feminist therapy. The final chapter explores a number of more recent and emerging theories.
In support of the textbook, Counseling Theory and Practice features a Cognella Active Learning component that provides students with videos, reflection exercises, PowerPoint slideshows, flashcards, and quizzes in a digital environment. These additional materials give students an accessible way to study outside of the classroom in their own time and at their own pace.
Informative and engaging, Counseling Theory and Practice is well-suited to courses for both pre-service professionals and those already in the field.
Active Learning ISBN: 978-1-5165-4252-9
Cognella Active Learning is available for this title! Adopting instructors can provide students with dynamic online learning activities that reinforce key concepts from the text, provide engaging educational experiences, support various learning styles, and make coursework fun. Please note: students must purchase the Cognella Active Learning component to access the course activities online.
Cognella Active Learning activities for this title include:
- 13 videos that feature conversations between Ed Neukrug and a master’s degree candidate in counseling at Old Dominion University regarding key theorists, including Freud, Jung, Adler, Frankl, Perls, Rogers, Skinner, Ellis, Beck, Glasser, White, de Shazer, Berg, and Jean Baker Miller
- 13 videos that introduce key theories and approaches to psychotherapy and counseling, then demonstrate them in action through enactments of counselors and patients in one-on-one sessions; these videos demonstrate the application of psychoanalysis, analytical Jungian therapy, Adlerian therapy, existential therapy, Gestalt therapy, person-centered counseling, behavior therapy, rational emotive behavior therapy, cognitive behavior therapy, reality therapy, narrative therapy, solution-focused brief therapy, and relational cultural therapy
- 6 full exams, featuring 200 questions
- 15 individual quizzes, totaling 150 questions
- 14 PowerPoint presentations that summarize and reinforce key content for each Cognella Active Learning module
- 14 decks of digital flashcards, one for each Cognella Active Learning module, to help students learn and drill key terminology
- A reflection exercise regarding ethical concerns related to cross-cultural counseling
- 3 consideration exercises that ask students to read end-of-chapter materials regarding the Millers, a fictional family struggling with various personal, familial, and marital issues, and answer related questions See a preview of the content
To see a full demo, please email us and one of our adoption specialists will follow up with you.
Laurie Craigen, Ph.D., LMHC-MA, NCC, CCMHC
Assistant Professor, Mental Health Counseling and Behavioral Medicine Program
"I just wanted to say how much I loved our theories text book, Counseling Theory and Practice. The examples were great and the cases really made the theories come to life. It’s not every day that you read a textbook that truly grasps your attention in a way that this theories book did. I would definitely recommend this book for anyone who is interested in learning about the counseling theories. For me, this book rates a 15/10!"
Student in the Mental Health Counseling Program